I buy granola bars to keep at work so I can have healthy snacks there. However, after wanting for several months (thanks to pinterest, where I found this recipe: No Bake Food Storage Granola Bars) to make my own, I’ve finally taken the plunge and done it! This is my second batch because they are so good! At the store, I purchase the cheapest brand and they’re not always the best. These homemade ones are not only way cheaper, but much more delicious and I can put whatever I want into them!
I also think that even though they probably have about the same amount of sugar, they’re healthier because I know ever ingredient that goes into them (no preservatives or anything).
Oh and did I mention they’re NO BAKE?! It’s true!
* 1/2 Cup Honey
* 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
(I decreased this from the original recipe which called for 1/2 C)
* 1/4 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
* 1/4 Cup Butter
* 4 Cups Quick Oats (not rolled oats)
* 2 Cups Crispy Rice Cereal
* 3 Tsp Vanilla
* Jelly Roll Pan
* Parchment paper
* In a large bowl, mix oats and crispy rice cereal.
* In a medium saucepan, combine honey, butter, peanut butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Then bring the temperature down low and let simmer until sugar dissolves.
* Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir.
* Add hot mixture to dry ingredients and stir in until fully moistened.
* Pour onto parchment paper in jelly roll pan and press down, spreading it throughout the pan.
* Let cool
* Pack in snack bags (I did two to a bag)
Now the fun part…
* Add what you want!
I put the following fun things on top of the still-hot almost-granola bars: chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins, craisins, and coconut.
Get creative with the fun things YOU add! Any more ideas?